The first thing we did when we came back to Frankfurt was to have Dr. Conrad check the kids. Actually, Kristin did have a sniffle, but that didn't worry me. They were due for their 4th year and 2nd year assessment.
Funny things one does here for doc's assessment besides the normal knocks on the joints to check the children's reflexes.
E.g. for a 4-year-old, Bryan was asked to walk from one side of the room on tippy toes, and then back with only his heels. Quite hilarious to watch actually. :p Then he was asked to hop and skip on one leg. Next, he was asked to use his index finger to touch his thumb, then the middle finger to thumb and all the way to pinkie touching the thumb. Now that was quite a sight! I was watching him sorting things out in his brain! Really interesting tests, right? But I was disappointed that that an eye assessment is not done here. So I'm still gonna be bringing him for his Polyclinic assessment when he's back in Singapore next January. Language wise, the doctor only wanted to know if Bryan could use pronouns... Alan was like, "Ermm, he's already started using it when he was 16 months old with his famous one-sentence 'I want to go'."
With Kristin, it was nothing unusual, although she was very eager to show the pediatrician that she could skip and hop too. Actually, she was jumping across the room. But what really was of interest to the doctor was to have her run quickly. And that she passed without much effort since she's been walking and running all the time in Singapore for the past three weeks.
But what got me very worried is her height and weight. She's so petite, and I don't mean comparing her to the German growth charts. She's only the 25th percentile among the Singaporean growth charts too. So the PD is gonna measure again in 3 months' time to assess her growth. Speech wise she's doing very well. Naming body parts isn't a problem at all.
What really cracked me up was a couple of days later when I was changing Kristin, she suddenly picked up a suction hook and pretended that it was a stethoscope and went, "Boom, boom, boom, heart beat pounding, boom, boom, boom." :o)
4 comments:
hahaha, Kristin is so so cute!
Don't worry about her height. She may be one of those kids that grow slowly but continuously even after her peers stop. Like me! And I'm the tallest amongst all my frens now = )
Such fun tests! No such luck with my previous french PD. One thing he did though was the eye test.
Smart girl!
Hmm, perhaps time to get them a doctor's kit? :P
Ivana:
Now I guess Kristin will have to trust Aunty Ivana that she'll still grow...
Vivian:
The first time we brought Kristin to the PD here, she swung her around, almost like tossing a pancake right in the end. And then she told us nonchalantly that it's standard procedure to check for baby's coordination. Our eyes almost popped out! LOL!
We do have a doc's kit. I was secretly happy that she saw another use of a suction hook. :p
Post a Comment