Tuesday, January 15, 2008

numbers and colours?

The other day, my mom and I were lamenting at how slow Kristin's skills were developing as compared with Bryan's.

By 24 months, Bryan could do rote counting, name his colours accurately and recognise many letters in the alphabet. By the time he was in Germany at about 27 months, he could always sit still through DVDs, or at least dance along - which by the way to me shows that he understood what he watched. He could also be still when someone read him a story. At about 29 months, he was telling stories to his baby sister.

Now Kristin is almost 29 months old. And my mom and I were just saying how little she knew about the colours, numbers and letters. And then during dinner, my mom decided to go through some colours with Kristin. Guess what discoveries we made?

Kristin's been having us on all this while thinking that she didn't know a thing about colours. Actually, she's been fooling with us whenever she's shown blue, she'd say green, or pink and say yellow. So it's quite true now that she sees colours and identifies them. So when she cried out, "Look, Mommy, pink flowers! Purple flowers!", she really meant them. At that time, she was about 20 months old out shopping groceries with me. I remembered a German lady was utterly impressed and I told her it was a fluke coz she didn't always get it right. Goodness... how I brushed Kristin aside.


Yesterday during lunch, Kristin also showed me that she recognised numbers on the placemats, mainly the numerals 4 and 8.


So all this while when her teacher in the preschool commented that Kristin knew her numbers, colours, and letters, it's all true.


I think I need to applaud her achievement a bit more to motivate her. She certainly doesn't get as much attnetion as Bryan did when he was almost 29 months old.

2 comments:

Vivian Tay said...

You are so right about brushing the kids aside. I'm very guilty of that too, especially with Cheryl :P

chloe2003 said...

the second one seems to get less attention huh? i'm also guilty of that....