Monday, October 08, 2007

apple picking at Appel Happel...



We knew that the weather would be fabulous over the weekend. So Daddy dug through his collections of restaurants and found the address of Appel Happel. Apparently, he was there at the end of October last year for a meal and discovered freshly squeezed apple juice and the apple orchard by chance.

We planned for a whole day of fun, starting out with lunch at the restaurant by the apple orchard, and then apple picking. But much to our disappointment, the restaurant does not serve lunches on Saturday! So in the end, we decided to go for a quick round of apple picking and head off for lunch at Ikea - what would we do without Ikea?

15 minutes of apple picking was just about right for the kids. I think any longer would either mean very tired children, or too many apples picked!



As with all our fruit picking excursions, Kristin must have a taste of farm fresh fruits. So there she was nibbling away on her freshly picked apple. More photos here.

We picked about 16 apples, with two tiny ones given to the kids at the farm store while we were weighing out the apples. All in all 1.89kg, so 1.89 Euro! The kids then finished off their excursion with a glass of freshly squeezed apple juice each on the house.

Ikea lunch was pretty good. Kristin finished her whole portion of lasagne on kids' menu, and had most of her jello. Bryan as usual ate pretty well because he couldn't wait to scoot off to the slide after his meal.

Really, Ikea is a huge playground for kids. We had to persuade the kids to leave the place in peace just to get across the street to Toys R Us. And we finally got a bike for Bryan.

I think we did very well this weekend. We gave alot of our time to the kids, as usual. If I were my kids, I would have nothing to complain about and strive to be as obedient as my mom would want me to be.

6 comments:

Vivian Tay said...

Picking apples, strawberries ... what else you have? Your kids are having the best time of all!

bACk in GERMANY said...

We were at olive groves and vineyards in Chianti in August. But we couldn't pick any of those. Am still thinking of looking for a vineyard around our area and let the kids harvest some grapes.

Bryan's class is gonna take a field trip next Wednesday to a pumpkin patch. I'm tagging along. Oooh, am so excited coz I've never been to one before.

I've always wanted my kids to look at fresh fruits and vegetables in farms. And I reckon what better place and time than to do it now with them here in Frankfurt.

Am a bit disappointed that we missed the blueberries season this year while we were back in Sg.

Vivian Tay said...

Oh yes, I would love to bring the kids to a pumpkin patch too.

The next nearest place I can bring them now for nature stuff is, perhaps, Australia?

We brought the kids to vineyard before but I think they were too young to appreciate anything.

If you are still staying on beyond next year, how about planting your own pumpkin patch? I tried strawberry once. Though Brandon was abt 2 (or younger), he could still appreciate it. How? By eating, of course! :P

bACk in GERMANY said...

Unfortunately, we don't have a garden, only a huge patio.

We planted green peppers this year. Will post our first crops on the blog soon! :)

Vivian Tay said...

Hey, just realised your photos are very well taken! May I know what camera you are using?

bACk in GERMANY said...

Haha... yep, my photo skill is really dependable on the camera only. Nothing to boast about, just a Panasonic Lumix with Leica lens.

It's the lens that's important when it comes to camera. Look out for a good German one, e.g. Leica or Carl Zeiss. :)

Besides, clear blue skies was the perfect backdrop for a good photo shoot. We were lucky that day!