Our calculated move to sacrifice part of Christmas and fly back to Singapore in a relatively empty long haul flight backfired!
Who would have thought that the earlier flight from NYC to Frankfurt and then to Sg would end up having technical troubles and then cancelled? Who on that flight would have thought that he would miss Christmas in Perth/Sydney? Who would have thought that our flight would become part of the replacement to get the passengers home as soon as possible?
I was told that there were no bookings for 1st class that night, while the business class and economy had 12 and 80 booked passengers respectively. So really, we could have had one row each to ourselves to sleep! BUT... sigh, no luck lah!
In any case, our kids were really angels! They ate, watched videos, and slept. We made the wrong move of placing Alan between the kids during the 1st 8 hours of the flight, while I sat a row behind them with a mom and a son. Though I don't understand much Italian, the woman was scolding her son the whole time to keep still, while in actual fact, I didn't even hear the son make a single squeak. I think my kids were much louder than him. And then, she continued to apologise for scolding her son. I was, huh? Much later, she told me that she was afraid of flying. So that was the reason why she was so uptight that even each breath her son took would irritate her. In the end, I couldn't get a single wink in the first 8 hours until I switched place with Alan. And it was fantastic. The kids and I managed to contort ourselves into some positions which allowed all of us to lie down for a while. Actually, I was the one choreographing the moves, while the kids slept through. Alan was happy to get his aisle seat to stretch his legs.
Comparing with our other single trip out of Sg three years ago, this flight went like a breeze. Then, I was travelling with my parents, Bryan at 27 months and Kristin at 12 weeks. A toddler who wanted to go up and down the aisle and a baby that I had to carry out of the bassinet once the seat-belt-sign was on. And this time round, we just slept... all slept even it was a couple of hours for me... it really is getting easier and easier each time we fly. Guess what? They don't even need their milk anymore when we travel.
Krisworld never fails to captivate the kids' attention. Yes, Singapore Airlines is a great way to fly, indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment