I woke the kids up at 7 am. They were brought out of the house by 7.45am to wait for their school bus. I only managed to spend 45 minutes with them.
I worked for 8.5 hours.
When I came home, I hardly spent 2 hours with the kids and off I packed them to bed by 9.45 pm.
So how much time did I spend with them in total today?
Barely 3 hours!
In between the 3 hours, I ate my dinner, listened to Bryan read to me, played a couple of "I spy" games with Kristin, watched my kids write some Chinese characters / numbers on the white board, put up with incessant whining from Kristin and made them milk, herded them to brush their teeth and change into pj's, tucked them to bed and prayed with them.
Ok... not too bad eh coz the Daddy only spent 30 minutes with them today! He's still not back from work yet.
Anyhow, in our absence, the grandparents did the following with the kids on top of caring for the kids, bathing them, cooking lunch and dinner etc!
My dad taught Kristin the first stroke in Chinese writing. The character for one. She still doesn't have much strength in her grip yet.
My mom taught Bryan to write the character "faith". Of course, she's truly the master teacher. Rewind this some 30 years back, it would have been me writing with my mom at the table.
More Chinese characters with the same "ren" side.
Bryan decided he had had enough Chinese writing for the day. Of course, grandpa had to help him with some numbers. Otherwise it would be "so tiring for his arms"!
Yes, we are indeed blessed with grandparents!
And yes too, we are quite voracious, kia-su Chinese students now!
5 comments:
You are so blessed! With grandparents like these, you can definitely rest easy going to work. And Bryan's handwriting is beautiful, both for numbers and Chinese. He's well prepared for P1, definitely!
Regretting throwing away this same Ikea white board when we left London! Feel like buying one now.
Yes, I thank God for my parents. :)
I need not worry about my kids' body, soul and mind! They take such good care of them!
In fact they are so good with kids that my brother and sil have already booked them to take care of their baby, who's arriving in May.
Actually I'm quite surprised that he writes pretty well. He never likes tracing. It was so painful getting him to trace when he was younger. And then we stopped for a year, during that year where he had the most brilliant teacher. And now he's just writing quite normally. So that goes to show that my mom's right. She told me not to rush the kids all the time.
Haha... the numbers... maybe the nice ones were from my dad! ;)
Oh yes.... go get another one.
You have no idea what they can do on a white board. One day it was a car racing track and another day it was a treasure map, yet another a blueprint for a spaceship. Interesting!
But you might not want an easel anymore. Your boys are too tall for that kind of white board.
Agree with Lilian, so good your kids have grandparents who'll sit and teach them, make them write nicely! My kids' grandma only wants to stuff them full of sugar and trans fats :( (can only say here lah, haha)
Don't stress over not having enough time for them, guilt-free, remember? and it's only twice a week and you ARE helping to bring home the bacon, right? So it's all good!
Wah-ha! Lilian's right. You're darned lucky, Cindy. I have friends whose whole careers are based on the support their parents bring to the fold - in fact, quite a few of them are letting their kids get raised by grandpa and grandma, and they don't see the kids till the weekend.
Super lah. Really super to see Bryan and Kristin do stuff so effortlessly!
Yes, Cindy. Its only twice a week. The kids are already doing very well. Take heart!
Post a Comment