Thursday, May 29, 2008

first fruits...



I never thought I'd actually like gardening, but with the botanic gardens of Frankfurt in my backyard, it's hard to resist the calling!

When we moved in, our whole patio was surrounded by ready soil in flower boxes! And this soil - I tell you - is so fertile - what with all the pollens swept from the botanic gardens (Palmengarten) - that anything and everything thrives. Else, I would be pulling out weeds on a weekly basis, and the flower boxes will be flooded after a storm. So I was "called" to plant! And gee, I really enjoy it! I don't mean to claim that I have green fingers, but to have my lavenders and roses surviving two winters, it's quite a satisfaction! Of course, for a start, I did fervently choose plants that are easier to care for. Personally, I love lavenders. It's little wonder that my children have learnt to identify these bushes at an early age. In fact, it was pretty impressive when a not yet 3-year-old Bryan stood in front of a painting from the Impressionistic era, exclaiming, "Wow! Mommy, look at those beautiful lavenders!" That did make a few jaws drop!

This year, we've got quite an assortment for our "garden" : tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, rosemary, daisies, rain daisies, carnations, kalanchoe, gernanium, campunala, chrysanthemum etc! Not forgetting our lavenders and roses - still thriving!

No comments: