Just a couple of weeks back, I was still lamenting how little Bryan could read on his own, or rather how much I had to read to him. Alan and I made our recent discovery that our son is probably not the independent sort.
At 4.5 years, he can sleep on his own, but he'd rather not to. So we stick him and Kristin in the same bedroom for now.
Bryan can get dressed all by himself, yet he still gets an earful from me each morning, with threats of a TV-ban for the whole week if he continues to dawdle and fritter away the precious morning hours and get us all late for school.
He can self-feed, most definitely or he'll starve in school. However, Mommy has to scoop his food in a spoon before he can shove it down his throat on his own.
He'll feign exhaustion when he has to put on his shoes or coat at the end of the day when I pick him up in school.
He can shower, but he'd rather let you do it for him.
The list goes on. Bottom line is he's a lazy bum! That's the same with reading too. Why should I read when my parents read for me, anyway?
Tonight something got to him. He read me all the readers he could lay his hands on. Some twenty of them all in one shot! I think it's time Mommy takes a backseat when it comes to reading...
8 comments:
Pssst Bryan, you better pretend you can't read, else your mummy's gonna make you do everything by yourself.
Is it really that obvious???
Haha... you can be very sure he won't be reading this comment!!! ;)
Wow! 20books at one go!! That's fantastic!! Adabel can't even finish one book at one go. Sigh!! What can I say, smart mummies have smart kids!!
hi serena!
got to correct there:
We are far from being smart... but LAZY? Definitely! Guess it was a spot on for Lilian: I'm eager to teach Bryan to read so that I can relinquish the duty of reading to him.
Readers are pretty short. About 10 pages or less. So 20 books of 10 pages: though few for some, certainly a lot for Bryan!
Way to go, Bryan!
Cindy,
Given a chance, Brandon still prefers me to read to him...
Hi Viv!
Indeed, the road to independence is a long one!
But for his own good and my sanity, he'd better start reading some on his own, for now.
Gee, I wonder when I'm getting along in years and I need reading glasses, will my kids read to me then?
Looks like Bryan's only just revealing what he already knows, a l-e-e-tle bit at time. But, be careful what you wish for ... I used to complain that RK wanted me to carry him ALL the time. Now that he's too heavy and I can't do it anymore, I miss holding him close throughout the day, sniff. Trust me, you'll miss the cosy night reads!
O yes, I do miss the breastfeeding time I had each with both kids.
But I never miss carrying them. It's also a fact that I can't partly because of my disc protrusion.
Missing cosy night reads, maybe.
Reading the same old story, however, again and again even to the extent of having to sing it out, errm, no thank you! I think I will give that a miss, any time!
Post a Comment