When Bryan came home yesterday, he had this sudden urge to complete this page. He even told me he would stop watching TV after the Kipper disc and finish up his work. Why the rush? Because he wanted to have it ready by today for Daniel Lucas' birthday. He was planning to give it away as a gift!
Ok, I know the theme isn't quite appropriate. It's an Easter colouring page. But hey, we're celebrating birth, right? :)
When Bryan finally presented his final product for my approval - think praises, that's what he was soliciting at the end of the day, I decided it was TIME to hand him this book I picked up at the Frankfurter Bookfair 1.5 years ago. Yep, 1.5 years ago! There are many more that aren't age-appropriate at the moment. I could have given it to him then, but he wouldn't have done justice to the book. The book certainly did not deserve the ill treatment of a preschooler, who could neither colour nor read. It would have ended up in shreds.
So Jack and the Beanstalk it is:
He felt proud to be handed this book. Because I said to him solemnly as if it was some family heirloom, "It's time. Now you will receive this wonderful book from me."
But we didn't get to the colouring immediately. He wanted to read the book!
"Ok, let's read it together. "
"No, it's too difficult. "
"Well, I take the left page. You do the right. "
"Hmm, ok. "
I eventually persuaded him to read the book with me,
He was reading... reading the most amazing things, at least they are to me. Because prior to this event, I was only expecting him to read nothing more than 1-syllable words and those sight words he knows.
e.g. "woman, mother, magic, giant, some, window, castle"... were some of the words I didn't expect him to know.
While he didn't at first get the word "tip-toed", he cried it out when I covered up the second part of the word. I think when he reads now, he's beginning to associate the words with his spoken vocabulary. Finally... phew! And all this while, he's had me on, thinking he couldn't read!
Lazy bum!
8 comments:
Cindy, this is momentous! The guy knows what he's doing obviously. It's onward here from here!
Hi Cindy, this reading is momentous! He obviously knows what he's talking about (hehe). And his colouring is perfect to boot!! You guys are on a roll!
Thanks for the encouragement.
My resolve to teach literacy has not wavered because of moms like you and Vivian in the forum!
But diligence isn't my middle name. So sometimes we try harder and sometimes we don't. We tried harder, yesterday.
adoi, diligence doesn't even know me. After Chemistry Week #3, I'm beginning to flag. Think I'll get to #4 in week 10 ...
hey, you've been busy with your homeschooling blog? Invite me, leh!
So that I can continue to find inspirations to teach.
Excellent, Bryan! Continue to surprise your mom that you are no average Joe!
Cindy, give yourself a big pat! Your efforts have paid off! So, keep up with those lesssons and teaching at home :) It will certainly benefit Bryan and kristin in a way beyond your imagination!
Way to go Bryan! :)
Hi Vivian!
Thanks, though I know I can barely do that since whatever teaching is done ad hoc.
A day is much easier and more fulfilling, of course, if the kids allow me to teach them something. Sometimes I do feel the itch to get back into the classroom.
Back to reading, I think the ultimate test in any word recognition would be the eventual reproduction of word, e.g. spelling. We are still a long way from that.
Post a Comment