Thursday, April 10, 2008

reading "green eggs and ham"

Apparently, Bryan's been doing Dr Seuss for this week in class. Somehow, I didn't get the schedule for this week until I read the notice board outside his classroom yesterday.

So gotta strike while the iron's hot, this was what I offered him last night while waiting for his dad to come home, Green Eggs and Ham!



Again, it was me on left, and him on right. He's happy that it's a balanced division of work:



I could tell from the smirk on his face that he was secretly happy that this time only Mommy was on:



Now, he wasn't too happy. "Mommy, it's not funny, you know." I had to remind him he didn't have to read at the last go.



"Mommy, it's unfair. You still don't get anything!"
"Life isn't always fair."
"No, I don't want to read anymore!"
But after having a peek at the next two pages, he decided to "resign" to his fate:



"Haha, now you see, life isn't always fair, Mommy!"

Really, I wasn't lying when I said he's a lazy bum. He's discouraged by the number of words he has to read on each page. Looks like it will still be mainly picture books for a long period of time!

5 comments:

Alcovelet said...

I love this book! For a beginning reader, it's deceptively long and the kids are sucked in before they know it, hehe. I wonder how many kids learn to read from this book. Well done Mummy and Bryan!!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Me too... I discovered this at one of the playdates last year. You see, when the kids play, I read kids' books, haha!

Better not call him lazy bum anymore, for we all know who's the real idle master here. :p

chloe2003 said...

Chloe just started this "I read one page, you read one page" thingy as well. I can see the relief in her eyes when a long page of words appear and it's Mummy to read :(

Wong said...

My kids LOVE books by Dr Seuss too!
I actually made green scrambled eggs + ham after reading this book with them... yucks... haha...

bACk in GERMANY said...

Green scrambled eggs??? I hope you meant with food colour. :)

Bryan's teacher made some jello green eggs. It was yummy. Those were the green eggs I served for Alan's birthday. :p