Alright, there's no need to scroll down for part 2. Part 2 was last Thursday - a spur of the moment decision after the kids and I had ice-cream with my brother and sister-in-law, plus some tai-tai's in Frankfurt. We didn't know what to do. So instead of loitering around in the city centre while waiting for Alan to knock off work, I thought picking strawberries would keep the children busy out at the field and the adults relaxed and happy. Ha... did I sound like I was making my kids pick strawberries for me? No, I meant to say their energy would be well expended. Bryan would be hopping around from rows to rows, picking only a handful of strawberries, while Kristin would be too busy eating whatever she could lay her hands on.
Anyway, yesterday was part 3. Alan was in Berlin and I had the car. Forecast had it that it would be raining by Thursday... and rain? The good strawberries will be gone! And this is considered the high season! So what are we waiting for? Harvesting strawberries after I picked up the kids from school was the only thing on my mind. Another spontaneous idea, yet again without my Lumix!
We came home with 6+ kgs!
And I have been having
1) crushed strawberries with cream - yum!
2) strawberries on butter cookie with whipped cream - see the pic? Yum!
3) strawberry on cream pudding on cake - yum! Had to make plenty of these to give away in school.
4) strawberry + banana milkshake - yum!
I think crushed strawberries with sweet red wine (served chilled) would be next!
Bao: You gotta go pick some this weekend before it starts raining again.
6 comments:
Arggghhhh!!! I'll be at the theatre again.....grrrr.....I need my life back!
Cindy, you'd better have your fill of strawberries cos it is $$$ here. I find the US/Australian ones to be quite tart, so we we shell out for the GM Japanese/Korean ones. Guaranteed to be sweet each time!
mmmmm..... and we're paying 5euros per punnet here! 2.95euros for tart ones.
I forget it's the German welfare system you're paying for!! A guess it makes us equal, nearly. The Australian ones are around 5 euros equivalent here. The gm ones can be as much as 9-10 euros equivalent, but they're virtually guaranteed. Luscious!
Haha, so Ivana, you're supporting the French welfare system, while us the German?
Btw, love the surprises you passed along with CS, thanks!
Hi alcovelet,
I pay about 1.84 - 2.24 Eur/kg for self-harvesting. It might not be necessarily cheaper than what i get the supermarket or from farms directly, but they're definitely fresh and juicy.
Hi Bao!
You gotta go, woman! The season's gonna be out soon.
Think we'll go again this evening.
Well, I'm glad you like them = )
Post a Comment