It's one of Sandra Boynton's New York Times Best Sellers fun musical written for young and old. During our recent road trip to Lake Constance, this was among the repertoire of children's CDs we took along. My SIL, a primary school teacher, was acutely tickled by the songs, while my children sang along with great passion to the all the tunes, be it jazz, rock n roll or blues.
Just a couple of days back, as part of our daily wind-down ritual before bedtime, I decided to just sing. If I read a book, I would probably have to sing it too... so why don't I sing from songs I actually know?
And boy, was I surprised!
I got an in-house singer. As we hit the repeat button for the umpteenth time in the car, Bryan was secretly rehearsing and enjoying his favourite songs.
The opening piece to this funny musical is a jazzy tune, paying tribute to cows. After we sang the main stanza and chorus, Bryan continued, "A turn of the head and a swish of the tail and a tippity-*tup of the toes. What a glorious sight *on black and white, and a touch of pink at the nose!" My jaws dropped! He was singing the bridge to the correct tap of a jazzy beat and tune. Oh, how I wish he could tap dance at the same time! Tell me, I'm not asking too much here, right?
Note the asterisks? Well, it should have been tippity-tap and in. But what more can I expect? He can't read much yet. He's singing all of the song out of memory.
If you haven't heard Sandra Boynton's silly songs before, please, grab a copy from Amazon.com. I bet you'll never regret getting the Philadelpphia Chickens.
This is definitely my recommendation for the summer!
2 comments:
Have not heard of the songs but I love Sandra Boynton's books. Her earlier ones were so ridiculously funny. Our favourites were The Going to Bed book, But not the hippopotamus, Barnyard dance.
And I was at the basement of Anchorpoint, in a bookshop that's closed down since, called Book Cove I think; or Bookaburra; saw Dinosaur's Binkit, and just couldn't help laughing and laughing. Had to buy the book even though it was rather pricey. All these books are still with us now, even though the boys are no longer reading. Great memories.
Yeah... isn't she a funny lady?
She's definitely one creative woman. Alan finds the BusyBusyBusy song hilarious.
Listen to the songs online. I think you and your boys will be rolling on the floor with laughter!
Post a Comment