Wednesday, July 16, 2008

an experiment in botany...


Question: Will a plant survive when all its leaves are snipped off? 

Before I left for our road trip to Provence, I snipped off the leaves on one of my rose plants. Well, I wasn't exactly doing this for the sake of a scientific experiment, rather there were too many aphids growing on it and I had to chop off the leaves since the pesticide did not work. 

When I came back late last night, rather in the earlier hours today, the first thing I did was to check my balcony of plants that have gone without water since July 5th! (I still haven't watered them this afternoon.) To my surprise, this was what I saw on my rose plant: 



Of course, the picture was taken much later today. It was pitch dark when we came home.

See the young leaves shoots? 

Hey, my rose did not die! 
Now I'm waiting for Lilian to report on her pea plant. Read her post here. 

P/S. Sarah, I don't think I'll try for a spice garden in Sg. The reason why I'm so into gardening here is that I don't have to water my plants every day, nor do I have to check the water on the dish below the flower pots. The flower boxes come with soil which is fertile with pollens from the Botanical Gardens in my backyard, and the plants don't require water every day. They are sort of out in the open! So even when I'm off on vacation, I don't have to bother anyone to help me water my plants. That's why gardening is made easy here! ;) 


No comments: