Wednesday, April 04, 2007

a gruffalo...

"A gruffalo? What's a gruffalo?"
"A gruffalo! Why didn't you know?"

About two weeks back, we discovered Julia Donaldson at the English bookstore here in Frankfurt. She's since become Bryan's favourite author. He even asked me tonight before he went to bed if he could visit Julia Donaldson. I could see the sparkle in his eyes.

I always think it takes a special something in someone to write children's book. And Julia Donaldson is certainly that special someone who adds magic and spark in her stories. Also not forgetting those catchy tunes that she writes and sings for her stories. She's not just Bryan's idol, she's mine too!

Alan was travelling today and that gave me a good excuse to go down to the Stadt to acquire a few more titles to expand our home library. While he was working hard in Hamburg, I was also working hard to spend his bonus! I went ga-ga grabbing all the titles available with the name Julia Donaldson stamped on them. It didn't take me long to chalk up a bill of 70 Euros for the books. And what do we have now to add to our collection of books at home?
Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child, The Gruffalo Song and other Songs Book, The Sharing Shell by Julia Donaldson.
And Helen Cooper's Pumpkin Soup and Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss.

Ok, Daddy... I will go easy on buying books the next time when I'm back at the bookstore, I promise. You know what, I think I will leave my purse at home. Otherwise, it will be tough to resist buying more children's books.

5 comments:

Vivian Tay said...

Hey, online shopping in the comfort of one's home is an even more expensive hobby!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Certainly... Have got some credit in the amazon account now coz I returned some books. They didn't arrive in a set so I returned them all and asked for a refund. Hmmm... maybe I'll go spend it on the Sleep Fairy or some books you recommend. :)

Vivian Tay said...

You returned it all? Once I wrote in to Amazon.com about an incomplete DVD set they mailed out, I was told to keep the set while they would send an entire new set. And they did. Did you request for postage reimbursement?

Vivian Tay said...

Oops, I mean postage incurred for returning the books.

bACk in GERMANY said...

So it's still better to order from amazon. It's actually an UK bookstore that sells via amazon. They weren't going to do anything about it if I didn't return the set. In the end, I returned them and asked for a refund and a reimbursement of postage.