Some time ago, moms on the forum were discussing about their kids bringing back homework from the kindergarten.
Over here, my kids never have much homework to speak of. In fact, they only bring home something to do out of the blue. I think for last year, I could count with one hand.
I'm definitely for some homework so that the kids can be kept occupied at home. And they need to learn to get used to doing homework on a regular basis - think Singapore!
Last week, Bryan's teacher sent home a couple of assignments.
1) For Maths: To celebrate the 100th day of school on Feb 14th, his teacher has requested each child to gather 100 items at home and to bring to school for display.
What a wonderful way to teach the concept of amount. Well, instead of mindless tracing of numbers, or forcing the child to add, the child is given an opportunity to handle the amount and addition in a more tangible way. He also gets to see how many groups of ten make up a hundred. Or how many groups of twenty make a hundred etc. We had a great time counting out the items in the kitchen, from candy canes to cheerios.
2) For writing: Each child is to make 11 valentines at home. Next he will write his name of each card. We will be placing the valentines in blank envelopes so that Bryan can bring them to school to complete writing his classmates' names on them. Again, isn't this a good way to let a preschooler practise writing letters? It is definitely not boring. It is not mindless tracing of letters. And I'm glad he's bringing back such assignment.
I wonder if the kindergartens in Singapore explore such practical ways in assigning homework.
No comments:
Post a Comment