Friday, August 15, 2008

chai tow kueh...

Not too long ago, Stacy dropped by with her sons for a play date. The kids had a great time as usual, while mommies were happily chatting away, catching up. Stacy also brought along some home-made chai tow kueh because she knew we would miss this special kueh-kueh from home.

I had no idea how much Bryan misses this kueh. The next day, when I pan-fried the chai tow kueh for lunch, my son couldn't stop until he had had his 5th helping! It then dawned on me that this was on his weaning menu and he's been eating carrot cake and pumpkin cake as young as 18 months when he was back in Singapore. Of course, Kristin didn't grow up with such comfort food, so needless to say, it wasn't so much for her palate either. 

Anyhow, I dug out the recipe that my mom wrote to me when I was still a student. The last I made chai tow kueh was probably 8 years ago... but it can still do! So here's my version of carrot cake. Anything for my kids, I'll cook... :) 

4 comments:

Baoying said...

Drool!!! I've been thinking of making yam cakes.... But too lazy. You so good!

bACk in GERMANY said...

No lah... where got good.
It's the preparation that takes a long time, otherwise, just stir-fry, mix in the rice flour with water which takes about 15 min, and steam for an hour.

Hmm... any idea where to get good yam? You know, those with granular/powdery texture that taste good in yam cake/rice.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Yam rice was my grandma's specialty. She could also make Soon Kueh and Png Kueh... if only I was old enough to learn all these things from her...

Baoying said...

I love all savory kuehs!!