Sunday, November 02, 2008

addition...

Nothing about PSLE nor Singapore Math... 
We are way behind those schedules here.

While waiting for Daddy to clear up some work at the office this afternoon, Bryan was gamely entertained by sums! How rare! 
Single digit addition isn't too difficult for him anymore... so I decided to give him a double digit and a single digit to add each time e.g. 13+4 or 17+2 or 15+3 etc... very simple and basic stuff still. 

After a while, my son told me it was again too easy for him! 
Why? 
That's because he's been using a manipulative - a ruler! 
He showed me, "You see Mom, the number 13 here. Then just count forward four times, and you get 17! So easy!" 

Cheater-bug! 
He's lucky that the ruler measures up to 30 cm for this time. 

Ok... I have to admit that I've been given some hope that there might just be a chance for him to catch up with Sg Math... slowly, of course, if he continues to add with a ruler! 

11 comments:

Lilian said...

He'll be fine, conceptually he's already got it right, adding and subtracting is about counting forwards and backwards. He looks so mature and speaks so well I keep forgetting he's only gonna be in K2 next year.

bACk in GERMANY said...

His teacher last year had great ways to teach Math. Mainly concepts by counting forward, backward, skip counting and grouping.

Don't know how much that has sunk into him.
Aiyah... just two more months left before he starts K2 next year... so let him play lah... no harm slacking for the next couple of months right, since we haven't been the most diligent in doing work at home anyway.

Lilian said...

Still so young, definitely can play and slack some more. If you were returning when he would join say P3/P4, then I'd be more apprehensive. As it is, go on, have a great time in your last few weeks in Germany. ENJOY! Btw, did it snow? I heard it snowed in London.

bACk in GERMANY said...

True... I think I'd be even more paranoid if he was p3/4 joining the Sg system.

But... still haven't written to the schools to ask for PV yet... so no pri schools... sigh...

bACk in GERMANY said...

Missed the snow... left on Tuesday evening, it was snowing on Tues night.

It snowed in Taunus on Wed/Thurs... Feldberg was white. But not in Frankfurt itself lah...

I want snow I want snow I want snow I want snow!!!
My kids had to make "sand" angels at the beach the last time coz they hardly got to make snow angels here!

Alcovelet said...

Wah, how can I miss this one. Wow! He's good eh? That trick with the ruler is awesome - saw it on some unschooling site but RK didn't take to it. Looks like B learns easily leh, so you have no worries at all.

bACk in GERMANY said...

While he was entertained with sums in his Daddy's office, he disappeared after a couple of them, e.g. grab a cookie somewhere, played with the bubble gun (assistant's stress relief), did some fishing (we cut out fish, put paper clips and a lanyard plus a magnet - voila, fishing in Daddy's office), had to go pee, got to drink his orange juice, and then he saw this funny ruler on the assistant's table. And guess what? He refused to read the numbers in the correct way. It's a transparent ruler and he turned it the other way round to read it. Anyway, he came back to do a couple of sums each time after his little distraction.

Am not sure if his teacher taught him that method in school though... ???

Oh... I really like the silent reading sessions he has each day...
Go read, then he'll be at a corner with a book.

monlim said...

Cindy, he's not behind at all, I think he's pretty smart to figure out how to use the ruler to add by himself. Apparently the concept of addition of numbers is not as simple as we think. Andre just couldn't get it, even after I used him cars to demonstrate addition and subtraction. It only dawned on him when he was in K2. Shortened my life by 2 years trying to teach him, I think!!!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Thanks Mon for the encouragement.
We'll see if my life gets shorter when we get back to Sg. :)

Oh I googled about Prison Break last night. Tried to read up on what the series is all about. Wow... sounds so exciting. Coz that one episode I watched in Sg didn't quite make sense in the bigger picture. Now I geddit. Chaaam, think I'm gonna start another obsession.

monlim said...

Prison Break is great!! Although I got a confession to make: Half the time, I lose track of the plot cos I'm too busy drooling at Wentworth Miller, hehe...

Alcovelet said...

Wow, that Wentworth Miller! Wow Wow Wow!!

But the series not so hot leh. got big logic gaps that my mind can't overlook for the sake of "art".