Tuesday, March 11, 2008

rhyming is the name...

Please do not adjust your screen. Yes, I was swirling the grapes in a bowl.
Anyway, if you've ever eaten with my family before, you'd know that my children and food aren't great combinations.

For some time, my cooking skill was in doubt. But trust me, I don't think that's the cause. The teachers in school have given away a portion of my children's lunch to other kids whose parents apparently forgot the lunchboxes. And guess what? The other children cleaned up the plates! And I was tasked to mash potatoes from scratch at a friend's dinner party. Out of seven children, 5 ate their mashed potatoes heartily, but my kids didn't even touch their portions.

My children just don't like food. They eat because they need to live. They aren't the sort that live to eat! Oh no, correction there. They eat because their mommy force them to. Ok, I know some would advise that I should let them starve. Well, I tried. Works for Bryan but certainly not for Kristin. I think the fact that she's still a tiny dot is quite self-explanatory.

Anyhow, so much grumbles and grouses on my kids not eating, not liking food etc.

So one evening, I was reciting this rhyme that I made up then and there just to get my kids' attention to eat grapes:

Ten little grapes,
Swirling in a bowl.
Oops, it's too crowded,
Now one must go!

And yay, they ate the grapes! I was elated!

I gave the kids some snacks today when they got home from school. Again, some mommies might think why I serve snacks between meals if the children don't already eat well during meal times? Well, actually, I checked, they didn't eat their lunch. So correction again, I was serving lunch at 2.30pm.

Bryan was eating his snacks while swirling his bowl and reciting this little poem he made up:
Three little cookies,
Dancing in a bowl.
Oops, it's too noisy,
One must go!

And pop went a cookie into his mouth!

So while rhyming is the name, eating is the game! :)
For as many games as one can cook up for the benefit of eating, I think my kids would probably be a tad more willing to feed.

3 comments:

Alcovelet said...

This is ingenious!! Yes my guy is a finicky eater too, sigh. Like, can he be my son?? Will poach from you yes!

bACk in GERMANY said...

If you don't mind me stealing a couple of your ideas... deal!
:o)

Alcovelet said...

Be my guest Cindy! Tks for the compliment about stealing some ideas :-).