Can you add?
No, Mom. That's too difficult.
Ok... hmm, how old are you?
I'm 4.
What about your sister?
She's 2.
So supposing she's 3, how old will you be?
I'll be 5.
Great! Let's see... when she's 7, how old will you be?
I'll be 9.
Ermm, what about when she's 9?
I'll be 11.
Hmm, how old will she be when you are 15?
She's 13.
Whatabout when you're 21?
She'll be 19.
When she's 25?
I'll be 27!
-------------------------------------------------
And all this while I thought my son couldn't add!
He's doing +2 and -2 with ease! Of course this is no great feat for a child his age. Discussing numbers, however, doesn't come naturally for me.
It's high time for some proper Math.
*My new found friend should be accredited duly. See comment below! Hee... also giving myself a pat on the back for a "living" idea! But if you are truly browsing for Math ideas, you should look at Lilian's. Mine are usually ill-conceived.
8 comments:
Woman, that's so living math!! Another idea coming my way ... :-). I think he's very ready for more! Way to go, Mummy!
Haha... now I've got to change the title of my post!!!
Hey, I'm watching your space for ideas to rob too! ;)
So you have a boy and a girl! I thought you have two boys...from your icon picture it was difficult to tell cos there are so small...
We hope we will get a girl if we have a second one, so tt we can experience bringing up both boy and girl!
chee seang
Hi CS!
Great to see you here!
Yep, it's always good to have one of each, but it's really up to Him, like you mentioned.
Hee... if you scroll further down, you'll see her sweet lil' face through the "igloo". But we've got no good photo skills - unlike those demonstrated on your blog - to booast about here. :(
Stay in touch, old friend!
"Discussing numbers, however, doesn't come naturally for me."
You're definitely on the right track, keep it up. Bryan will continue to surprise you.
As for me, science is a pet peeve, and I try to avoid talking too much about science with the boys lest I set them on the wrong track, or worse, impart my phobia to them! Google is our science saviour.
Lilian: Thanks for the encouragement...
My little confession: Till now, I suffer from occasional haunting nightmares of MATH EXAM!!! e.g. I was late or I couldn't solve the problems or I remembered I missed taking a whole class etc! And gee, when was the last time I took a Math exam?
For me, Math is beyond a peeve! It's angst bringing up the topic... *shudder!
So... heee... let's just stick to "living" Math for a while. Something useful in life first. ;)
I tried this on Chloe, who can't do addition or subtraction as yet. My my, I was very surprised that she can tell me how old Charlene will be when she is 6, and how old she will be when Charlene is 4. I wonder how she figured it out with ease :)
Hi Helen!
Need I say more? It's living Math, yay! Guess Bryan and Chloe can be great friends!
Post a Comment