Anyway, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be a brilliant idea to use it as a learning journal for Bryan?" So when I presented him the huge black book, he was pleasantly surprised, "Oh thanks, Mom! I really like my 'work'book." That's what I told him it was gonna be. "Ok, Mom. Let's do some work now!" He couldn't wait to start. Thus, for the initiation, I told him to pen down his own name on the cover! He was delighted!
Well, if you know me, I'm not a hardcore-homeschooling-mom who has a strict curriculum and tight schedule to stick to. No offence to mommies who homeschool though. I just pale in comparison when it comes to discipline. If I were bestowed a wee bit of your discipline, I would gladly be a hardcore homeschooling warrior too and very definitely, my children would benefit from the real homeschool. What I do is really quasi-homeschooling.
Back to our workbook: We've been quite hardworking, last Wednesday and Thurday and this Wednesday and Thursday again. Hmm, I didn't know I actually set a time for these sessions. Convenience does plan its schedule well in this case.
From our very few sessions, I'm beginning to appreciate handwritten work. Sometimes, I spotaneously chart out an hour of learning with words, other times I prefer to get him to read from the calendar and count the numbers, while he dictates how I should spell out the months. I think by getting him to watch me write, he practises writing in a way too, by observing each stroke that makes up a letter, which then combines with others to make up words. I think I've forgotten that copying is learning in itself. Thanks to our huge black book, I am rediscovering this traditional method. Also, I think I'm setting the tone for the days to come - hee, guess who's gonna be writing eventually - when he begins to write, copy and eventually learn to transcribe accurately... but certainly not in the very near future, judging from the speed at which I tread when it comes to homeschooling.
So here's our huge black book!

7 comments:
so you do most of the writing and Bryan the circling? seems like he's a visual learner
Actually, the training right now is very visual. After all, I want him to see, focus and recognise the words. That's why limited pictures are used. I don't him to be distracted by the pictures just yet since we are making some progress with word recognition.
hmmm... want to help homeschool mine when the time comes? we could start a little biz!
see, best things in life are free, free book, free notes from mommy, free flow of ideas, free format!
hey,wana start a penpal club for the kids?
Hi Ivana!
I was thinking of doing some official training in Early Childhood Education and then start a preschool of sort back in Sg. You wanna join me then? ;)
Hi Lena!
The penpal club idea is splendid!
That will get Bryan the regular trips to the post office. And I think he'll look forward to that and receiving mail than the actual writing itself. In the meantime, he writes minimally.
hey hey, i didn't know u are keen to teach preschoolers!
Better to open your own school, preschool teachers get peanuts for their hardwork.
School... too stressful?
Big children, big problems;
small children, small problems! :)
Post a Comment