Wednesday, September 19, 2007

results...



I couldn't wait for the night to come. So when Bryan came home, I decided to spring the test on him. Bearing in mind that it's his first assessment ever, I walked him through the task: Got him to read all the words in one column and went through the pictures with him to ensure that the pictures were perceived correctly. Then, I began to realise my mistake. I think he's got a little confused now with hat-hay, bat-bay...

I would say he did about 80% correctly on his own for today.

The next step is to start breaking down the words further to letters. Remember, I'm using the analytical method. So each word will get split even smaller each time. For a start, he has to copy the words by sticking letters.

6 comments:

Vivian Tay said...

Excellent, Bryan! All you need is a week's teaching and you can do it. Keep it up!

Catherine said...

Very impressive!
How about limiting the assessment to all the short vowels 1st?

mitt
bat
bed
fox
hut

just a thought...

moshimoshi said...

i can see that u r getting more hardworking! Hurray!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Hi Serenade!
I think turning 4 finally made him a tad more willing to sit down and do work than he was at 3. And I did promise to give my children more quality time now that both are in school in the morning. Didn't I? :)

Hi Catherine!
It might appear that I had been picking the words at random. But these are actually word families we've covered so far. Unfortunately, some were taught more extensively than the others, thus the confusion from Bryan.
Bryan has to date learned the -at, -ool, -ay families.
Slowly, we'll be moving on to your suggestions like the -ox family.

Hi moshi2!
I was anxious with testing... hee, a teacher can never change her habits, can she??? ;)

Catherine said...

oh i see!
so you taught him using the family?
I actually teach Ning individual sounds.
Is it easier to learn this way?

bACk in GERMANY said...

Hi Catherine!

Bryan was doing a bit of phonics in his 3's class last year. Unfortunately, the teacher didn't get pass the sounds of the letters. So he doesn't know what blending is.

I always thought it's fun to read using the onsets/rimes method, just as I always did with the Electric Company. So I did it with him the other day. The result was good... combining with his phonics knowledge, once I introduced him to cat, bat, hat, mat (4 words), he read me the whole of the "at" family and was reading our reader "The Fat Cat sat on the Mat" after a few days. So I thought this method might work for him.