Saturday, October 11, 2008

missing germany #8

This Friday was quite special. Bryan was off to his friend Ryan's home for a play date - not the special part. It's a perfect autumn day with 18 centigrade and a clear blue sky, thus I decided to ride a bike to school to pick Kristin up - I can only manage biking with one kid, however. Yep, picking Kristin up with the bike was the special part. Besides being a great workout, the ride also allowed me to take some exciting pictures along the way to school... yep, I will certainly do this again, if I only have one kid to pick up from the preschool. 

Instead of allowing me to make a pit stop at Grueneburgpark (a public park), Kristin wanted to take a walk in Palmengarten (one that requires an entrance fee, though it doesn't really matter since we have a season ticket, just that I had to go home first to fish out the ticket from my bag). She was exceedingly well-behaved today. Or maybe it's the weather... it was so good, I felt so good... I didn't care if she was whining a little, errm, actually, I can't remember if she did whine, did she? 

By the time we came to this pond in Palmengarten (there are several in Palmengarten), Kristin refused to move. So I decided to start taking a few photos since I couldn't tear her away from the pond and its little drain...

Anyway, it has been pretty warm the whole day. I saw no harm letting her play with the running water: 


In between, I thought I could make a few photos to send in as a photo assignment to Digital Photography School (DPS) which has the theme of "bubbles" for the week. 

I took over a couple of dozens, deleted many... and am still having problems deliberating on which one to send in... 
These are the shots I'm happy with:

Shot 1, shutter@1/60, aperture@6.3, ISO@400, on sub-auto at aperture priority mode :  


Shot 2, shutter@1/60, aperture@5.6, ISO@400, on manual mode: 


Shot 3, shutter@1/60, aperture@5.6, ISO@400, on manual:


Shot 4 on manual with shutter@1/60, aperture@5.6, ISO@400 : 


Shot 5 on manual with shutter@1/60, aperture@5.6, ISO@400 :



So which one, my friends? Will appreciate some critiques... :)

7 comments:

Alcovelet said...

I ain't no artist! I love the one with Kristine, naturally. #2 is great and I love it best of all, but the right side looks a bit over-exposed. The left side is purrfect - I clicked on it to blow it up. Wow, I could have started at the leaves for hours.

Send in the man in train station, or Bryan in pumpkin patch!!!

bACk in GERMANY said...

I was thinking of shot 4, the second last one.
Minimalism is the best... and the lighting is good.
Yep, agree... too bad for that one with the leaves... over exposed on one side...

Aiyah... "the man in train station" is nothing... DPS features better ones... The one with Bryan running down the plum orchard? Not very sharp leh...

Maybe that's why must participate in the weekly assignment and learn to improve... ^_^

Alcovelet said...

#4 doesn't have the exquisite artistry of the leaves mah,

sherlyn said...

Hi,

I am thinking of #4 too .. subject bubble, so just give bubbles mah keke .. anyway I have the same thot as you had, minimalism.

By the way, don't tell me you did not learn photography before? and that the super nice pictures just come in with practicing on a DSLR? I hope I can take pictures half as nice, or perhaps just a quarter as nice as yours. ;-p

Ivana said...

I think shot 4 is the best. It's got lots of bubbles, colours are clear and lots of pretty swirls.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Thanks Sherlyn and Ivana.

Yes, Sherlyn... yep, just practise with a DSLR! Haven't gone for a photography class yet... but would like to do one soon... maybe when I'm back in Sg. :) So if you know of any good one, please recommend!

Of course, there's Digital Photography School (google it) to the rescue! It's a really good resource!

sherlyn said...

hmm so sorry, i do not have any recommendation at all, but taking a photography course is one of my "to do" when the kids grow up. So mean time, i think i will learn from you and Digital Photography School. ;-)