Thursday, October 30, 2008

London and eats...



We always put on weight whenever we're in London... 
How not to when: 
1) Bryan ate 4 char siew paus at each dim sum session! 
2) Daddy had ducks for three consecutive meals! 
3) Mommy loved all her dim sum treats and Indian curries! 
4) Kristin... erm, she didn't even finish her milk! But hmm, I think she also put on weight for all the shortbreads she gobbled down. I just had to tell her, This is just butter! 

We didn't manage to go to Yauyatcha. But after hearing so much about Hakkasan, Alan and I decided to go check out this 1-Michelin-Star restaurant. Indeed, we weren't at all disappointed! 

This was our favourite of the day, Scallop Siew Mai with fish roe: 


I thought this Cheong Fun was quite special too, with crispy beancurd skin as the inner layer, wrapping mushroom and bamboo pith: 


And this was Bryan drawing furiously before his Char Siew Paus came... 


Can't say that Hakkasan was better than Yauyatcha since we never been to the other restaurant before. But that will surely be a reason for us to be back in London again, right? :) 

Also... thanks to all those friends who recommended Pearl Liang. I think I just found the world's best duck there (ok, I admit I'm not much of duck fan). Certainly the queue and poor service at Four Seasons isn't all that worth it anymore. Just head over to Paddington for a nice treat in peace and with a lot of space! 

More on London to follow... IF I can find time amidst packing... 

9 comments:

Alcovelet said...

Drool, Cindy, I'm putting on weight by proxy just looking at the pics. But the best Peking Duck in the world? I've tried the Pearl Liang in Taipei (v good food, but doesn't hold a candle to ...) Made in China at the Grand Hyatt in Beijing!! The skin is like a crispy pastry. Wait a minute, it's China we're talking about. I better check if it IS crispy pastry!! But I kid you not. It's ridiculous duck. And the secret, they claim, is this specially commissioned oven from Germany. Yup! You're in duck country!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Not Peking duck lah... Roast ones only...
but like I mentioned before, I'm not a duck fan... so I won't usually order duck. You know, I only started eating duck when I was pregnant with Bryan! And guess who likes all the crispy duck skins now?!!

I'm a teochew... I go for braised ducks!! I love my duck noodles though... the teochew ones of course! :)

Lilian said...

Woohoo, upmarket sia...someone said Hakkasan is like Yauatcha, just a lot more expensive! Oooh, the siewmai with roe looks so amazing! Both my kids don't take charsiewpau :( If they did, my life would be a lot easier, just pack a few and shove to them when they're hungry. Easy peasy.

Isn't Pearl Liang wonderful? Great value for money, and nice ambience too.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Haha... Bryan's version of char siew pau is char siew pau in London or in NYC. Not the Tiong Bahru ones. The dough must be light and fluffy! And also... must be piping hot... cannot keep a few on the go for him... so still need to look for the dim sum places.

Heard that the siew mai with roe is the signature dim sum dish. Don't know lah... cannot compare since I haven't been Yauyatcha. You go and then tell me which one is better or more ex lor...

bACk in GERMANY said...

Yes... yes... thanks woman for rec on Pearl Liang...
At least the people there aren't gonna throw us out of the restaurant unlike those crowded ones in Bayswater.

Lilian said...

I heard that the owner of Yauatcha & Hakkasan, Alan Yau, sold of Yauatcha to a Dubai company. Oh, just googled, and he did sell both restaurants, but still serves as CEO and oversees daily ops. And Yauatcha was reported to be headed for Kuala Lumpur by October 2008! Happening man!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Great... no need to fly to London liao... KL no time diff... no jet lag.... good!!!

Our weekend in London was quite tiring...
It was minus 1 hour when we arrived. And on Sunday, we adjusted to daylight saving time. Another 1 hour behind. And then when we came back to Frankfurt, it was plus 1 hour again...
Meals were quite haywire and we were exhausted! Never thought +/- a couple of hours also can cause a mini jet lag.

Alcovelet said...

Did they have that lovely miso dip on breadsticks at Pearl Liang in London? Man, that one shiok!!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Didn't try that one leh...
I wasn't doing the ordering...

We had the lobster noodle and roast duck. The rest was veggie, soup and beancurd??? Children's stuff.