Thursday, October 23, 2008

reading "green eggs and ham" again...

Let this be the official day that marks Bryan's independent reading. 

Ever since he turned 5, he's been found sitting in a corner each day... at several intervals of the day with a book. It's usually Tintin or a Berenstain Bear. I have long stopped reading to the kids. Now it's a rare time when Mommy actually reads a book with them, and it's usually when Daddy's not home. Yet, I haven't had plenty opportunities to slack this month either, since there will always be a couple of nights when Alan's not around each week. In fact, I think his successor probably sees more of him over the past couple of months than the kids and I do! 

Anyway, as the story goes... Tonight was yet another one of those Daddy's-out-nights. So guess who did the reading tonight? Me? Lucky me... it was Bryan! Finally and thankfully, Mommy can now skive, officially! 

I told Bryan I was only keen on reading Dr Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. Then Bryan told me he could do it. In fact, he's done it before in preschool during daycare. Apparently, he's been reading it to another girl. Trying to woo one with poetry already? Not eliminating that possibility there... haha! Even his sister vouched for him! "Yeah, Mommy. He's reading to Miranda!"

So in a whole sitting, he finished the entire book. "Am I not fantastic, Mom? See, I told you I could read it all by myself!"

Yes, I'm mightily proud of him, taking even more pride in his effort to finish all 62 pages at one shot! Ok... I won't call him a lazy bum anymore. 

By the way, I did realise some interesting cues he draws from reading... I mean the non-verbal communications, e.g. When he saw a couple of horizontal lines coming out of the character's mouth in the drawings, he told me, "Oh, he's shouting a bit here." So he raised his volume and pretended he was shouting out loud while reading. Next, he saw some words printed all in upper case. And he told me again, "Oh, there he goes again. Shouting!"

Pretty interesting what he picks up from the non-verbal signs. Guess comic books are brilliant for such things. Yep, more Tintin it will certainly be... I think it's also high time to re-introduce The Electric Company dvds. 

Yep... think most moms are right on this one... just leave the child alone and sooner or later, he'll pick up reading! Ok, more later for our case. Still loads better than "never", I guess. And really... phew! Because we'll be heading back to Singapore (where kids are already reading by 3 or 4 years of age) in a couple of months! Oops... in fact I need to fret about Kristin! Now I've found the new object of my obsession! Here we go again... 

3 comments:

Lilian said...

Well done BRYAN! I feel very proud of you too. And you must get your mum to buy you all of the Tintin series, and later on Calvin and Hobbes :) Dump any dumb readers (I'm not talking about people, but 'readers' books) you might have in the house, comics work better!

and ooooh
Bryan and Miranda,
Sitting on a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G...

Alcovelet said...

Congratulations Bryan!! Kristin, you're up next ...

Cindy, I tell you, this mummy treadmill is incredible! How come nobody told us when we signed on the dotted line? We keep finding new things to angst about, and it NEVER ENDS! I want to let go and just let things be, but itchy fingers - cannot leh. If we don't help/push/cajole, can things happen on their own? And ultimately you can see that Bryan's soo darn proud of himself. Happy he's happy, right? That's the greatest reward!!

monlim said...

Well done Bryan and mummy!! No lah, not eveyr kid here reads at 3 or 4... only those with super on mums!! both my kids started reading only at 6 and they're both ok leh... so don't gancheong!!