Friday, October 10, 2008

Oct weekend getaways 1

Over the weekend, we were at a place where we could see this: 


climb through a shaft like this one: 


stay in a place as funky as this one: 


have a caricature of ourselves like this one: 


Oh yes, you guessed it! We were in Brussels.


More to follow... 

6 comments:

Lilian said...

The shaft picture is darn solid...thumbs up!

Alcovelet said...

I take it all back about Brussels being officious looking. The name just makes me think UN capital of the world (I think!!), like Washington DC. OK lah, Washington has it's charms too (no less than the Smithsonian!),but Brussels looks more kid friendly.

Hey hey! Have you been to the East European side?? I've always wanted to go to the Czech Republic and Hungary.

Alcovelet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bACk in GERMANY said...

Lilian: Shaft = inside Atomium.
Actually it was Al who said, "Come quickly! This will make a good picture!" So I went and snapped a few... and one of the DPS tips on composition... you know about lines and slightly off centre of subject to add depth etc... wow... good tips! Pretty happy with the results... never knew stairs and escalators make perfect backdrop!

Adeline: Guess we try to be as kid-friendly as possible... i.e. take them to places... it was quite a different story when I visited Brussels then on my own. Still, I like Brussels each time when I'm there... maybe it's the choc and mussels! ;)

Prague: twice, once with kids, once without. Pretty pleasant too... it was Christmas period with the kids, so there was Christmas market/concert in the old city sq. And we caught the Changing of Guards at the Palace.
Budapest: once without kids. I think the bath soak itself would have been fun for the kids.

Can't remember what we did there... gotta look at photos. After a while, Europe looks pretty much the same... Barcelona will be the last stop for us before we go back to Sg. In terms of architecture, this could be quite different from the Gothic, Neo-classical, and Renaissance style that I'm used to in CEu. Spain has lots of influence from the Turk in history... oh come to think about it, it's the same in Budapest too. Yep a little more unique than what I usually see here.

Alcovelet said...

Actually, a bar opened up in Capital Square near my office builidng with, you guessed it, Mussels from Brussels. Must bring you when you come back, if it's still around.

Alcovelet said...

And oh, uh, I removed a post meant for Monica from this post. So sorry! Lilian will say, what?? Again??