Sunday, September 21, 2008

lessons in photography...

Am I glad that this is the internet age.
Just about everything and anything under the sun can be found on the web. 

So... I searched and studied a few websites in the past weeks, wondering how I can better use my new digital equipment. 

I stumbled upon this website that I absolutely love: 
I picked up a few tips here and there regarding composition and alas! I was finally brought to realise what lousy photos I have been taking... or am still taking. Please... you don't have to feel sympathetic nor compelled to offer a few good words to my ear. Lousy. Period. 

I begin to realise there are so many things to look out for in those 3 seconds that I have to shoot my fidgety kids. Just to name a few things that I can remember off-hand:  
1) Check 4 corners. How often do I have photos with an errm unsightly bin at one corner? Or recently, my friend commented that one of the guys in my photos was headless!!! 
2) Using lines of geometry to define and highlight the subject, e.g. I've always been pretty satisfied with this shot, but I didn't know why. Still, that photo was done with a point-and-shoot and I wasn't thinking much then. It was a lucky shot. 
3) the rule of thirds

For those who are interested, composition tips can be studied in detail in Digital Photography School. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For my friends who are using Canon EOS 1000D: 



av 5.0, tv 1/80, wb @ tungsten




av 8.0, tv 1/20, wb @ tungsten

Never thought what those values meant before I got my DSLR. Now they tell me tons of things! 

7 comments:

Ivana said...

I follow the one third rule and trying to make sure that i'm not missing an elbow or a foot. Hubbs is very particular!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Oh... I read somewhere about the slightly off centre position of the subject. Otherwise, photo looks too boring with the subject plonked right in the middle. And viewers are not encouraged to inspect the surroundings/background...

It's like a little tip from "how to make one's digital photos look more professional or something like that".

O yep... your hubbs has very high standard.... *scared*

Alcovelet said...

Wow! And may I lodge my indignation that you posted the photo of that plate of spaghetti 3 times, and I suddenly need a past fix now!!

Great photos! But huh, what what tv/av? Tks for the link though. Time to brush the dust off my D40 before it stops working.

Lilian said...

The first statboard I worked for sent me to a photography workshop, so some of the rules like lines of geometry and rule of third did stick somewhat to my mind.

All this av5.0, tv1/80, wb@tungsten stuff, these are in manual function? Show off!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Adeline: AV = aperture value, TV = time value, wb = white balance. Whip out that camera! Life looks beautiful with nice pictures! :)
Two same pics, one was repeated thus posted thrice! :) Good food must be savoured!

Lilian: Innocent!!!! The values are there so that if I wanna replicate the same scene, I'll try to remember the settings. That's all lah... for practice sake, not showing off... you don't like lah, always kacau, kacau and gado-gado only... hahaha! But you get it now?

Lilian said...

Hee hee. Ohhhh now I get it. Danke.

I still haven't figured out how to stop the darn flash from popping up when I'm doing Digital Macro.

bACk in GERMANY said...

Me too am figuring out how to use the camera... you'd better not listen to me, I know nothing too. The blind leading the blind... ;)