Saturday, September 13, 2008

my little linguist?

We had a play date at our home today. Bryan's new found buddy in class, Daniel, came over with his mom and sister after school. As usual, the kids had fun: 2 gals and 2 boys, while mommies had tea. :) 

When it was time to say goodbye, Alan was very tickled by what Bryan said. Yep, it's a rare occasion that he's already home. But it was huge traffic congestions everywhere on the highways. So by the time he got into Frankfurt it was well past 6 pm. Ok, I digressed... So Bryan said without a thought in one single breath, "Bye Daniel! Tschuess Lisa!" 
To Bryan, Daniel speaks only English, while Lisa (Daniel's sister) can only understand German. Actually, Lisa can understand English very well too, but she prefers to speak German  - that Bryan didn't know. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I learnt from another mom today that my son was telling two of his classmates that he would teach them Chinese. 
Ha, my son teaching Chinese??? 

I was pretty curious about what he might want to teach them, so I asked him. 

"I can teach them to count in Chinese. I can also teach them to say the 12 Chinese zodiac signs." I suppose that would be quite a lot for him to deal with for now.

3 comments:

Vivian Tay said...

Hi Cindy,

I am still amazed by how you could differentiate the languages in Euro Disney. Won't be surprised that both your kids display a natural flair for languages. As you said it, it's all in the genes :)

Alcovelet said...

Sounds like he's definitely got your genes :-). Kids really learn by osmosis! I love these stories. Years later, we can say, "Hey! Their interests really began here!".

bACk in GERMANY said...

Funny thing that these days he's been noticing different languages.
He'll tell you he knows Spanish cos Dora taught him to count.
He'll say he can speak Chinese.
And he's fluent in German too.
But we all know how much he really can speak other than English.
In the car today, we were listening to Eros Ramazotti and he asked us what language it was.

Don't know where his interest might lead him to in future. But I will definitely NOT force him to learn German.