Wednesday, September 03, 2008

little ambitions...

When Bryan was 2.5 years old, he wanted to be a bus driver, specifically a blue bus driver, i.e. the bus he drives must be blue.

After his 3rd birthday and the fire prevention week in school, he decided he wanted to be a fire-fighter. Then came a craze of him wanting to be a construction worker, just like Bob the Builder. 


Since he turned 4, he's been wanting to become an air-craft pilot. He also mentioned that he wanted to be a Daddy one day and have 4 kids. 


When he started learning about stars, he suddenly took interest in space and decided he wanted to be an astronaut instead. It would be cool to walk on Mars, he said. 


Now at 5, his recent ambition has swung from the futuristic science of space & astronomy to a science that studies the past. He wants to be a paleontologist. He wants to study all about fossils and dinosaurs, he says. 


What about Kristin? 

Well, Kristin didn’t tell me what she wanted to be when she was 2.5 years, though she did mention around that period to her teachers in school that she’d like to be a superstar. 


Yesterday I thought it’d be fun to engage her in some future planning, so I asked her what she’d like to be when she grew up. 


She said without any hesitation, “I want to be a Mommy!” 

Daddy was sniggering away behind his computer when he heard her answer. 


I asked further, “And then... anything else?” 


Kristin said with a wide smile, “I want to be a Grandma!”


I suppose I should take comfort in what my daughter said there... although I would have liked for her to have some other passions other than her love for a domestic life. Funny thing that she takes interest in wanting to be a Mommy... at least I haven’t been staying at home for nothing. 

5 comments:

Alcovelet said...

You know what? I've often thought that your kid wanting to emulate you (and grandma) is the best compliment ever. You KNOW they feel loved and secure. Warm, fuzzy feeling, this. *goofy smile on my face*

Ivana said...

Aw.... how sweet!

bACk in GERMANY said...

Adeline:
I know! It's like a gazillion times better than any amount of "I love you, Mom" uttered.

Ivana:
Yeah... very sweet, isn't it???
Something I hope to remind her when she one day becomes a mom herself. :)

Ivana said...

nah, if you have to remind her, it means that she's rebelling... better to ask her again, and RECORD her saying it... no denying it then! BWAHHHAHAHAAAAA!!!

bACk in GERMANY said...

yep, gotta get a video footage!