They all had lunch together at my place today! Hee... a UN food convention! Lunch was such a resounding success that it was discussed promptly when and where the UN delegates could reconvene. ;)
Our similarities, however, extend beyond our interest in food. We are all mommies, we all have at least one child in the American preschool here, we are all originally not from Frankfurt.
Told ya, Frankfurt has such a huge international community.
Though we talked about many things over lunch, some topics invariably came back to our kids but with a bit of twist. That's why I like these moms so much.
So one of the moms recounted that one day she accidentally walked in when the teacher was giving some kids time-out. The teacher sort of gave a "glare" like "Don't talk to them, these guys are on time out here." She left quickly. By the way, the kids concerned here were actually our kids... and guess what? We had such a good time laughing and one of the moms even cheered: Yay, serve the fella (referring to her son) right! Ok, it's not my intention to portray her as the mean witch mom here. And I know for a fact that she loves her son dearly. But what she wants is a good structure in her son's preschool years and she hopes for harder discipline! Wow... completely different from moms from my part of the world. I'm full of respect for this mom! Imagine a Sg mom marching into the school and interrogate the teacher in front of the whole class, demanding "So what crime did my child commit? How could you this and that blah blah blah... Are you sure my child was the culprit?"
Also, we didn't complain how much stress our kids are under, nor scared ourselves silly about sending our children to thousands of enrichment classes... although we did wish that our kids had more homework. Btw, our kids love homework here! Maybe it's the lack of it that make them crave for more. Recently we've been given some flash cards to help our kids sound out the words at home and then tick off a checklist... yes, that's all, so simple. No worksheets to complete, no spelling lists to memorise, nothing to count! So with this kind of attitude, our subject quickly returned to where we could take our kids out for fun, e.g. Lochmuehle, Taunus Wunderland, Disneyland or Legoland....
What a pity that this kind of stress-free school-life is almost at its last chaper for us now. Soon we'll be dumped back into the cauldron of stress, rat race and paper chase in Sg... sigh!
Wait a minute, this post is supposed to have a positive tone... ok, I got to psych myself up again for the great week ahead of me. The kindergarten class has a field trip at the end of this week. I'm gonna convince the teacher to let me tag along to take pictures, yay!
And talking about pictures, here are what we had for lunch... sorry just leftovers... we were too eager to start that we didn't take any pictures at all!
Clockwise from top: Rendang... (blurred out coz it didn't look as good as the one in Lilian's), bee hoon and my favourite salad to go with the curry!
Again, yummy and pretty cakes from the famous Siesmayer Cafe in Frankfurt. Thanks, Mania!
And little cupcakes made by Fatima's lovely boys! Thank you, little darlings!
It would have looked so much better if I had a white teapot, teacup, saucer and plate...
P/S Representatives from Moscow and London could not make it for lunch today. Their flights were cancelled... :(
15 comments:
My flight wasn't cancelled lah. Landed in Frankfurt but couldn't find your house, so flew back lor. Oooh, the food looks goooood.
Alamak... why didn't you call me??? I would have sent someone to go pick you up!
Promise you'll call the next time when the plane lands ok...
and I know you have my number!
Also... next time ta-pau some of your beef rendang!
Omigod woman, your food pics are gorgeous! Not to mention those models are pros. Even that little cupcake has festive apparel on!!
And wah, Cindy, the educational system there sounds so amazing too. Maybe it makes everyone more relaxed, so even the mothers are so cool. Most of the homeschoolies are, I can tell you that. But I have friends on both sides, and even in rat-race Singapore, I'm so heartened to learn that I can find chill mums who listen to their kids. Yes it is the school system, but ultimately, you have to decide what to prioritize in your kids' life, especially when they're young.
The number you gave me was wrong lah; some German-speaking lady picked up. Did you do that on purpose? *hurt*
I left the beef rendang with the German customs pp.
Wait minute - I'm kinda slow here, but putting 2 and 2 together. You gals are hilarious! But urb, Lilian, planes are not busses!
Lilian: The custom had the rendang??
Hope it was so spicy for them that they still can't talk today!
Aiyoh... gimme your number, I call you next time your plane lands.
Adeline: Yeah... Lilian takes plane like buses! ;)
So true about setting own priorities.
Pretty sure can find moms in Sg with whom I can click. If not, then I bitch about them lor... nothing new to you right? :p
Woman!! *gasping in horror"
You can count on me!!
Which part: the eating, clicking or bitching part? ;)
Just kidding lah... sure count on you!
All three of equal importance in life what. Right or not?
aiyo ... that's how you got so many comments... gossips, yummy. And btw, yummy, yummy food & gorgeous pictures... *salivating* ... now, where's my DSLR?
Adeline: Yes, we definitely have a strong passion for life ;)
ky: gossip here? Where got... just normal bitching lah... seems like we're all gonna have a new hobby - DSLR! ;)
ky,
no gossips here lah... besides, gossip only happens behind others' back... and here... I know it's a private blog, but there are still people reading it you know (or I'd like to think I haven't been talking to a wall here) ... Gossips must be taken elsewhere... spoken like a real kaypoh here :)
wao, the food pics are so well taken ... now when can I upgrade to DSLR?
Post a Comment